Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Musicals

Thanks to Netflix, I have been watching my fair share of Golden-Era musicals. I attempted Brigadoon tonight, but got bored. Fortuantely, TCM is showing Bye Bye Birdie:



I am enjoying this a lot more. I love the innuendos that are thrown in during Hollywood Code-era movies. Especially when referencing Elvis and rock and roll. I just watched the South Park episode about the Jonas Brothers, which makes it all come full circle. Pop music is all about teenage girls and sexuality, whether the producers would like to admit it or not.

Of course, Bye Bye Birdie is not as good as
Oliver! which I managed to watch three times last week, thanks to my roomate falling asleep every time.



I still have yet to get all the way through Fiddler on the Roof, though I know all the songs by heart. We have both the Broadway and Film soundtracks on record at home.


Sometimes it's just nice to have something light and bubblegummy to watch.

No comments: